Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Bear Lake

We went to Bear Lake for a few days to the Hess cabin.  I have so many fond memories there!  On the drive up we had a long conversation about sharks.  I had to make many reassurances that there were no sharks in Bear Lake and then proceed to explain why they live in the ocean and not fresh water (a one sentence explanation will never do).  Then we had to go through some shark scenarios--for example, what would I do if a shark jumped in the boat?  Even though I again reiterated that there were no sharks at Bear Lake Esther insisted I answer the question.  I replied, "I guess I would try and kick the shark out of the boat."  Esther quickly retorted, "No!!!!  You would jump out of the boat!  You have a life jacket so you would float!"  Okay, glad we got proper shark procedure all sorted out even though there are NO SHARKS AT BEAR LAKE (I didn't even hint at the fact that if the scenario happened to occur there would most likely be other sharks in the water because that would bring even more questions and discussions). 
The first night there we walked out to the lake and when we got close Lucy said, "I didn't know there was a swimming pool at Bear Lake (in reference to the huge lake in front of her)."  She never stops making us laugh.  The girls were in heaven playing in the water and sand and staying as far away as possible from the boat we rented for waterskiing.  My dad was shocked I was still able to slalom (no pics unfortutely :)).  It was nice to get back skiing after a pregnant break last summer.  Isaac loved the sand and water too--I was especially proud of him for not putting sand in his mouth once!!  He is growing up!  He LOVES his Grandma.  If there's someone besides his mom he wants to be with, it's Grandma.  The last day we were there got a little windy and subsequently COLD.  Lucy spent a lot of time under the towel but Esther could keep playing in the water and sand all day, no matter the weather.  John burned the tops of his feet really bad so he was in pain for the second half of our trip.  I don't think he'll forgot the sunscreen there again.  We ended our trip with the traditional raspberry shakes--love Bear Lake! 

3 comments:

Rachel Allen said...

Such good memories. I miss Bear Lake every time I read about it on one of the Hess cousins' blogs.

Heidi Openshaw said...

Kate, that looks like so much fun, and I was totally entertained by the shark story. Thank you for that!

Janine said...

Loved the shark story. But, if you jumped out of the boat because of a shark -- don't you think there would be more sharks in the water?? I'm going to have to talk to Esther about this sometime...

Isaac is so so so cute.

And happy belated bday for John.