Saturday, September 10, 2011
Happy Birthday Brother!
Today my brother Sam (the one in the suit) would have been 32. This picture was taken right before he went on his mission. We were having a hard time feeling cheerful because we all looked up to him so much. He was fun, outgoing, stalwart, hard-working, talented, funny, tough, musical, friendly, and kind. There's still a big gaping hole in our family where he used to be--we will always miss his spark. But I do know... I am a better person because of him, what he went through, and how he didn't just endure it--he endured it well. One example of how his example has changed me--whenever I am exhausted and feel too tired to pray or I think of him--how right after his bone marrow transplant when he was constantly nauseated with bleeding sores in his mouth and feeling worse than he ever felt--he would still roll over and get on his knees to pray. He was my hero. I love you Sam--Happy Birthday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I remember at a high school football game when Sam was in the student body. We didn't know him at all, but he came over and talked with a group of friends and me because he wanted to be a good student body representative. I always really liked that and admired it. When he got elected, he didn't just go back to his own group of friends, he seriously tried to be friends with everyone. He got my vote :)!
I too am better because of him and my faith is continually strengthened by the faith of your family! Love you Kate! Thanks for sharing this with me!
Happy Birthday Sam! I will always remember his birthday.
wow...thanks for sharing about your wonderful brother, sam. i wish i could have met him. i'm sure he is so proud of you, my dear. you are an outstanding example to me (and so many), so i guess we need to thank sam, in part, since he continues to inspire you.
xoxo
Thank you for sharing this. Love to you and your family!
Sam was awesome!
Post a Comment