Pages

Friday, May 08, 2015

Maui I love you


 John and I had the opportunity to go to Hawaii for the second time this year.  I know.. right?  This was our original big kidless trip we had planned to take and I was really excited to go to Maui because I have never been.  The trip in January was one that John had to do for work and he had to spend a week on Oahu so he wanted me to come.  My sweet mother in-law said she was up for two rounds of Thompson kids so we were lucky to have this opportunity.  Twice.  We had big hopes that this trip would go better than the last for our kids (Wes got RSV last time and the rest of my kids got colds).  This time the week we were leaving we got hit with the dreaded stomach flu.  Isaac was first in the middle of the night.  He came in telling us he was hungry and scared.  I told him to go downstairs and eat a banana.  So he did.  He came back up telling me he was still hungry so I (half asleep and wanting to return to full) told him to go eat another banana.  He was on stepping off the last stair when we heard the sploosh of vomit.  No!!!!!  And so it began.  Two days later Lucy and Esther were not feeling well either and Lucy spent many hours throwing up-she says some pretty funny things when she is sick like "why do I have to be in this body?" and after many many pukes she said dramatically, "I just have nothing left!!!  John also felt sick to his stomach but he and Esther never got to the point of throwing up.  Wes somehow escaped it and while I worried a lot I would be throwing up on the plane I only had a sour stomach. The night before our flight Lucy got some instense stomach cramps.  She was so miserable I thought we would have to take her to the ER.  She was yelling and writhing and no parent can watch their kid be in that much pain for very long.  John called a friend over and they gave her a priesthood blessing and tearfully and thankfully she was able to get to sleep and felt better in the morning. So we left with high hopes that everyone would be healthy while we were gone. And the kids did well...  It was just poor Nana that got hit with the horrible virus while spending the weekend with her sister (while the kids were with my dad and Ann).  I really really hate the stomach flu or gastroenteritis or whatever you want to call it.  It's horrible.  On the opposite side of hate is Maui.  It was wonderful.  Why don't we live there?  I really love the ocean.  It has a sort of calming grounding effect on me.   We stayed at the nicest hotel.  It was the perfect size and didn't feel crowded at all.  It also had an amazing breakfast buffet and was located directly on a beautiful beach.  They were so nice--bringing us water on the beach or giving us water and towels every time we left the hotel.  We went with one other couple and had a great time eating, snorkeling, relaxing, swimming, biking, eating, visiting, scenic driving, relaxing, and more.

 This was the view every morning while we sat and ate breakfast.
 
 One of the best fish dinners we ate. (we love yelp)
 
 Big beach with my Big Crush

 We biked past this church and a classical quintet was rehearsing and it was beyond beautiful to sit in there and listen.
 
We ate A LOT of shaved ice while we were there and hit many beaches.  The waves were often pretty big and me being super scared of spinal injuries could not venture in but John was always the first one in no matter the size of the waves.  
 
I need to get the pics from John's phone because his are way better but for now lets just say it was a week in paradise.  

No comments: