Thursday, July 31, 2008
Dental Failure
One of the most frustrating things in life is to try your very best at something and still fail. Every six months I get a pit in my stomach as the time approaches to visit the dentist because I always get to experience crushing failure. I am a perfectionist in my dental care!!! Every morning and every night I brush with my sonicare for 3 minutes with the special indicator telling me when to move on to each section of my mouth. Every tooth is brushed! In addition, every evening I FLOSS! I can't sleep without flossing! And yet, at my dentist appointment yesterday I was told that I have one cavity and a small spot on a neighboring tooth so we might as well take care of that too while we're drilling next door. Oh, and a filling broke so make that three teeth that need painful surgery. So I have to make another appointment, it will be 1 hour and 15 minutes long, and 300 dollars (I exaggerated a little... but not that much). AAAAAAAAAAgh! To add to the frustration I know my husband will be GLOATING about this the rest of the week. Let's talk about his dental habits. He brushes once a day--twice if he's feeling ambitious. He has been better about flossing lately but that still only means he flosses maybe twice a week. Guess how his dentist appointment went--PERFECT! Absolutely no cavities (he had fluorinated water growing up). The reason he will be gloating is I'm usually reminding/nagging him to floss and brush because he did have some gum problems a couple years ago. Now that we have been using sonicare both our gums have been much better but my teeth are still struggling. I guess there is always room for improvement--I could always cut sugar completely out of my life and brush right after each meal. Maybe I'll start--but what if I do and I STILL have problems. I'll have to jump off into the full sea of dental depression. The reason I have so much anxiety about it is that I HATE getting cavities filled. The painful shots in my gums and the unsettling drilling of my teeth makes me want to hurl. August 14, at 12 noon I will NOT be a happy girl.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
oh how I can relate, Katie! Oddly enough, I just came back from getting the one and only cavity in my mouth filled just this morning! And I brush like a maniac! You might even call it a little 'monkish' - no, I don't poor boiling water over my toothbrush before each brushing to disinfect the brush - but I do brush a minimum of 8 times a day! I think the obsessive brushing behavior began in my childhood when my mom informed me that if you eat too much sugar all your teeth will fall out. Well...that will NEVER happen to me, I vowed! These teeth will stay in tact - but nobody told me about cavities. Sometimes you just can't win for trying.
I'm sorry you have to go through that, it's not fair. I did learn from a dental hygenist friend that kids who grow up with florinated water have better teeth, she said that you can get your kids on floride pills or vitamins with flouride in them, by prescription. It only works on the developing teeth, so once their permanent teeth are in the flouride doesn't help.
You are the best! I love reading your blog. You make me laugh so stinkin' hard! You are truly the most dedicated dental person I know. I cannot believe how dedicated you are to your teeth. I'm very sorry to hear that you are not having any success. Good luck with your appointment. I hope all goes well.
I'm super sad for you. My dentsit wants me to replace all my fillings that I got as a kid...ha ha, as if I'm going in to get that work done just to replace work that was already done! And pay for it too!!
Also, I feel for the irony of your situation. I'm that way with weight loss. I can eat well, work out regularly, and eat crap for one day and boom--I'm 5 pounds heavier. James cuts back to 1 bag of chips a week and drops 5 pounds.
So sorry to hear that - how frustrating! My favorite part at the dentist is when they act surprised that my gums are so red and tender ... I always want to say, "hm, I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that you have spent the past 30 mind jamming and poking on them with a sharp object?!" ...go figure!
I, too, hate going to the dentist - so I'll keep you in my prayers on the 14th :)
I just had the same experience. I always floss and brush well and then they always ask me, "Are you a regular flosser?" Can't they tell! I floss every night because I can't stand not to. I went in last Thursday and found out that I too have a cavity. I hate going to the dentist more than anything and now I have to go this Thursday to get the cavity filled. AHHHH! I hate the dentist!
Okay Kate, I have a theory -- having children must thrash a woman's teeth! Your scenario with John is exactly like Rob and me. I have to have a CROWN on Thursday, and Rob is simply having a cleaning. Like you, I brush, floss, rinse, repeat, chew sugar-free gum, drink floridated water, ya-da ya-da.... and Rob drinks soda all day. Grrrrrrr.....
I just felt like I needed to give an update after going to the dentist yesterday. The fact that I hate the dentist, is once again confirmed. I was there for a simple cavity filling, which turned into a partial crown (because they had to shave away some bad dentistry from a previous dentist). THREE hours later I left with a horrible headache, a droopy face, an eye that wouldn't focus well, and a puffy, bruised cheek (not to mention my hungry baby waiting for me in my mother's care). I look like I just got my wisdom teeth out. And I thought I was going in for a simple filling. . .Whatever!
Good luck Katie next week.
I couldn't agree more ... on every aspect. Our lives are a carbon copy on this issue. I hate the dentist, btw. I think he hates me too ... it must be mutual.
Post a Comment