Pages

Monday, August 18, 2008

Dental Follow Up

Just so you know... my dentist appointment was just as bad as I was expecting it to be. Due to a miscommunication with the office I was twenty minutes late for my appointment so I started off feeling anxious and wondering if the dentist was going to take it out on me (he's actually a really nice guy and there's not way he would do that but I still couldn't help worrying). It was not that painful either but it was still AWFUL. Here's a list of reasons why my hands were shaking during my appointment and why I felt like I wanted to cry afterwards.

1. Keeping my mouth open for an hour and fifteen minutes straight.
2. The assortment of nasty-tasting things in my mouth the worst being the lidocaine.
3. Two people (the dentist and hygienist) hovering uncomfortable close to my face for the duration of my appointment.
4. The sound of the drill on my teeth.
5. The sensation of the drill shaving away at my teeth (AAAAAAAAAAGH).
6. Not being completely numb in a few parts and truly FEELING the drill.
7. 20 different tools going into my mouth doing who knows what.
8. Two of the cavities being worse then the dentist expected (no patient ever wants to hear that--just keep drilling).
9. My large donation to the dentist's next trip to Hawaii.
10. The awkward numbness on half of my face resulting in ugly half smiles and drooling when drinking.
11. The complete vulnerability I feel on that chair... kind of like a kid. I don't understand why I have to be there (I'm a perfect brusher and flosser) or exactly why they have to do what they are doing to my teeth.
12. Did I mention my appointment was 1 hour and 15 minutes long?

4 comments:

Janine said...

I'm with you on that list. I hate it all. Tomorrow I'm going for my first of two appointments. I have to get a crown and tomorrow is the take a mold and shave the tooth one. YUCK! And it all started with a cavity that led to a root canal and now to this.

Jacob and Jodi said...

I had to laugh when I read this, cause it is exactly how I feel about the dentist. What is it with husbands not having to brush or floss much, and not having cavities?

Cathryn said...

You know, you can ask your dentist for prescription-strength toothpaste. It helps those of us with those genetically softer and less-evolved teeth.

b.liz said...

You survived, Kate! (...and I thought your half-frozen face was kinda cute.)