Monday, November 24, 2008
Flying with kids
I used to like flying. Then I had two kids and now it's pretty much an all around stressful experience--checking in, going through security (putting all your stuff in bins, taking off your shoes and your kids' shoes, folding up your stroller and placing on the roller, all while holding a heavy toddler), and sitting with your kids for two hours or more trying to keep them quiet and happy. Last week I flew to Utah for some family things and the travel went okay. On the flight there everything went fine until the captain came over the intercom and announced it was time for descent so buckle up, etc... This, of course, is when Esther decides to announce that she REALLY needs to go potty. I think I froze for a few seconds because I had no idea what to do. We're not allowed to move about any more but maybe I could stick a diaper under Esther but who knows if that would hold "it" all. So instead I just try to distract Esther with some fruit snacks and talk until we can land. As soon as we land and the seatbelt sign goes off we are up and walking to the back of the plane. The flight attendant was a little annoyed as she as trying to do her thing. I opened the small door to the restroom and Esther immediately states, "I'm NOT going in that potty." I try a few different persuasive measures but she is pretty stubborn so I just said okay and we walk back to our seats. As soon as we get there Esther turns to me and says, "I've got to use that potty." So we turn around again (by this time the flight attendant is REALLY hating us) and head back to the restroom. It's so small there's no way we would all three fit in there so I had to just leave the door open and stand in front of it while Esther "went." But don't worry, by this time we were the only people left on the plane. Once we finally got off the plane there was the challenge of no stroller (John forgot and I didn't double check) and my girls are NOT good long distance walkers. So I was holding Lucy most of the time along with my big purse, huge backpack, and a very whiney preschooler. By the time I got to baggage claim they were taking my bags with all the other lost or unclaimed baggage. Whew. I vowed Esther would have nothing to drink on the next flight and I would never fly again without a stroller. The way home was less eventful fortunately, although Lucy decided she was afraid of headphones and wouldn't watch one minute of Dora, thus requiring constant entertainment. Needless to say, it's good to be home and I'm trying not to think about the fact that I'll be doing this all again in three and a half weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Way to go Katie! I flew with McKay to Texas. It was stressful enough, and he was only 6 months old. I'm really impressed.
I am completely exhausted! You are a very brave woman. I would never fly alone with two kids. Good for you, and I hope your next flying experience is much better.
Post a Comment