Last Monday was my Grandpa Hess' s funeral. While it was sad because we will miss him and grieve the loss, it was also an amazing experience hearing stories from his life and words from his journals. He was a spiritual kind generous man. Almost every time my mom fed him dinner he would try to hand her a crumpled 20 dollar bill in some sly way. I especially enjoyed hearing some stories from when he was a chaplain during World War I I. He had to deliver many death messages to families during that time. He served his country faithfully. He also served God with all his might - serving two 3 year missions to Australia. I'm grateful for his example and his testimony. He was a force. One of my favorite parts of the service was taps at the graveside (with the shots fired, the flag folded and presented and the song). It was pretty neat to hear and see that a few days before the 4th of July. I love my country and appreciate all those who have served and are serving our country.
No comments:
Post a Comment