Pages

Monday, July 06, 2015

4th of July


Since the 4th was on a Saturday this year we also go the 3rd off so it was like a two day holiday.  We spent the 3rd with my family--going on a hike, eating pancakes, and going to a movie (Inside Out).  And the girls had piano lessons.  Ha ha!  It was fun day.  I often forget to take pictures of things... for the 4th my friend Jessie sent me a bunch so I'm glad to have some of the 4th.  We started off our 4th of July with a pancake breakfast with our friends.  The buttermilk syrup was not to be missed.  Then we hit the very hot Layton parade.  It was fun to be with friends but a very average parade.  Why don't we do parades in the fall when the weather is nice and cool???  After the parade we went home for a good little nap.  Then I had a good breakdown which I seem to have every 4th of July in relation to the loss of my mom.  She died July 1, three years ago.  So I always seem to do okay on the 1st but then on the 4th it hits me as I feel her absence the most on all holidays.  She made everything fun and I just always felt like I had a place to go or someone to hang out with at any time.  Now life is a little more lonely but I suspect it will feel that way until I see her again. I did rally and in the evening we went up to my dad's new house to play croquet and then watched the fireworks from his mountain.  It was a pretty good view of the valley and a much better sound level for my kids.  They don't do well with loud fireworks.  We could hardly get them to hold a sparkler. 

The pankcake chef, Preston
 
The kids enjoying the breakfast.
 
 John and I giving our best faces to the camera.
 
 Wes is a true Thompson.  Not a lover of loud sounds. 

 The kids lined up and ready for the parade.  There were a few complaints about the heat. 
 
 It was pretty hot because I've never seen Wes quite so red-faced and sweaty.  He was as pooped as us by the time we got home and took a great big nap.
 
I am thankful to live in this amazing beautiful free country and every time I sing the Star Spangled Banner or Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American." (of course:)
 




No comments: