Pages

Thursday, January 08, 2009

The Gingerbread Contest

Every year my family does gingerbread houses and usually it turns into a competition because that makes it more fun. Our houses are generally not the pretty or even the edible type (we use hot glue to get our graham foundations to stick). This year the theme was "movies"--in honor of Sam who we always miss at Christmas time. So here are the three entrees:


1. The Grinch cave from the Grinch. By Esther and Dad. Really, my dad just likes to keep it short and simple and get it done.

2. The Plaza Hotel in New York from Home Alone 2--an old family Christmas favorite. This was masterfully created by Julia and me. Notice the intricate candy work and the finishing touch of the micromachines going through valet parking.

3. Helms Deep from Lord of the Rings. Created by Elijah and Dan. I have to give it too them--it's a pretty good re-creation. And the little figures were a nice touch.

I think we are still not in aggreement who won the competition. There were a various judges with various opinions and they all came up with a different winner. Next year we'll have to find less partial judges.







1 comment:

Janine said...

I think yours was the best. And I'm impartial (kind of...)

Looks like you had a fun time. Are you back home now?