Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sleep Deprived

The past couple nights have been rough. Lucy has had a fever and cold so she's been waking up quite a bit. Last night she woke up twice with a high fever and it takes a while to get the fever down. Also, after the second time Lucy woke up five minutes after putting her back down and gives me the hungry sign, both on her nose and mine--so slipping downstairs for a quick banana took another ten minutes of my beauty rest. On top of that Esther has her fairly regular bad bug dreams and that makes for some good sleep deprivation. A friend told me once that even these sleepless nights are ones to treasure because we'll miss those cuddles and quiet time with our kids when they were little. Since I heard that I haven't been quite so grumpy after hard nights but I still don't function very well without my sleep. I need my sleep. I'm one of those crazy people that needs to get sleep. I know Beth understands because she's worse than me--especially right now (she's prego). Just to give you an example sleep deprivation issues--today Esther asked me to get her vitamins at breakfast. So first I got her princess vitamin and proceeded to give it to Lucy who was sitting at the table till Esther loudly brought the problem to my attention, "Mom that's my b'itamin!" So after that I went to get her vitamin C and also proceeded to give it to Lucy till Esther once again assaulted my eardrums with "Hey!!!!!!!!!" I quickly made the switch before she could finish the sentence. Lucy was not too happy about the mix up because she usually gets the brown funny tasting liquid for her vitamin. Without sleep my response time is amazingly slow. One more example is when Esther asked me where the granola bars were in the pantry. She even gave me the multiple choice option of high or low. It STILL took me a minute to say, "Oh.. down low." It's a little sad I know. These are the days I wish we were coffee drinkers. I just hope this post makes sense because at this level of functioning I can't promise anything. Here's to a better night tonight!

2 comments:

cori said...

I'm so sorry Katie! I can so relate. Unfortunately, the loss of memory and ability to think and reason at previous speed never comes back. :) Just thought you'd like to know.

*** said...

Oh Kate, I wish I lived close and I would take the girls for some quality Dora time so you could catch a long nap. Call a baby-sitter so you can get a rest, you deserve it!!! And since coffee is not much of an option, maybe you'll have to treat yourself to a morning Jamba juice with their energy potions.