Pages

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Well-checks

I took the girls to the docter today for their well checks. Wow... that was fun. We were almost late because the girls were hiding in their beds chanting that they didn't want to go to the docter. There was a lot of "shot"talk before the day of the appointment--Esther must have asked me twenty times if she was going to get a shot. Shots were the whole reason she didn't want to go to kindergarten. I knew it would only make things worse if she knew the truth(like I would have to physically drag her to the appointment) so I told her I wasn't sure. Maybe that's bad but I thought if I was her I wouldn't want to know until right before so I would have to stress for so long about the pain I was about to endure. Getting shots is stressful on the mom too--there's nothing to wrench your heart like pinning your daughter's arms down while nurses jab her with needles. Esther got four shots and Lucy got two--both cried and Lucy let out some major screams in the form of "OOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWIIIIIIIEEEEEEE."
In the car I asked Esther if it was as bad as she thought it was going to be (thinking she would say no) but she slowly, sadly, steadily, nodded. Lucy was too busy bossing me about what Aida song she wanted to listen to on the way home.

At least they got pink bandaids and two suckers each.
Most of all--I'm just glad they are well.

2 comments:

R. Patton said...

What is worse: the screams of the first child receiving the shot, or the look of horror of the second - knowing that they are next? Glad you made it through alright. :)

Heidi Openshaw said...

Shots are horrible! I hate it too. I am not looking forward to Macie's well check in May. I know she'll freak out. I think I'll tell her I don't know as well. I'd rather her not stress and be completely terrified for days beforehand. I'm glad they're healthy and well.