Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

4th of July and Festivities

We had a great 4th of July weekend and some a good following weekend with the Farmington Festival days.  We got to go swimming, have dinner with friends, did fireworks, had a chuck wagon breakfast, played croquet, made a family music video, watched the kids do a penny slide, ate Cafe Rio, watched fireworks, ran a 10k, and watched the Farmington Parade.  I love this holiday and I'm a little sad it's over until next year!
My friend took this cute picture of Isaac when we were doing fireworks--he couldn't stop saying, "Mom! Dad! Wook!!!"
It may have been the first year none of my kids have cried from being scared of fireworks.  Wahoo!

 When I was growing up my Grandma Zollinger would do a penny slide (water slide with money and not just pennies either!).  We absolutely loved it so this year my mom started her own penny slide.  The girls did pretty well--the sliding and grabbing is a tough skill to learn.  Isaac was too scared to even try so he just walked along the side and picked up money.  Then he would throw it back down because he hasn't yet been corrupted with the value of money.  Sorry for the diaper shot--we knew he wouldn't be getting all crazy with the water so we went for the lazy white trash look.

 Lucy's sliding was minimal but she was good at the stop and grab.

 Esther is the only one that made it over the jump (yes it's a fancy water slide with a jump!)
The girls made out pretty well with each getting about five dollars in change!  I don't think we ever got that much when I was a kid but I guess it helps when their only cousin or competition is not even rolling over or wearing swimsuits yet.
 
 Lucy held a sparkler from start to finish for the first time this year.  Go Lulu!


 Isaac just held his for half a minute before he got too nervous.  And it made us a little nervous too since he was waving it around a lot.

 Esther loved it all being the big six year-old girl she is now.

 Just love this little guy's smile. 


The kids and a friend at the Farmington parade!  So pumped for the candy!!!  I just love their festive t-shirts.  My friend found the idea and another friend helped make them.  I wish they could wear them all year!  One of my favorite parts of the holiday was watching several different firework shows as a family from our bedroom windows.  There were tons this year (since they legalized aerial fireworks) and the kids were thrilled with all the action they could see.  Even our neighbors across the street did some aerial fireworks that were so fun to watch so close!  Lucy said after an hour of it, "I never had such fun until the 5th of July!!!"  John said, "You mean the 4th of July?"  And she replied, "Yes!!!"  I agree!

No comments: