I had my six month dentist appointment today. It was way below awesome. I have two cavities--only they don't call them cavities when they are looking at the x-rays and poking around your teeth. They have secret code names for them. I'm not sure why. I had to clarify after the doc kept pointing at the x-ray and saying some term I knew was not "good news." I said, "So... I have two cavities." He said, "Yes, we were watching two spots to see if they were active and it looks like they are." Super. Let me remind you that I brush at least twice (often thrice) a day and floss every night. On top of that there are rinses--a fluoride one and another one that is for my gums. Yet still I get cavities while my non-flossing, hardly regular brusher husband NEVER has cavities. This wasn't the only "news." Then dentist also informed me that there is bit of a gap in my top two teeth that they could maybe fix for me (for a fee of course). I informed him that I already wear a bottom retainer at night and a night guard on top. So next time I have to bring those in to see if something might be done to fix the "gap." You would think after two sets of retainers and a round of braces that I might be good to go as I'm at the end of my twenties. The office even checked my insurance to see if orthodontics might be covered but no, only for those UNDER twenty. Super. As I checked out of the dental office they offered to fit me in tomorrow (Friday) for those cavities but I said, "No, thank you." I need at least a weekend to recover from my appointment. I guess I should be grateful I'm not in line for another root canal. I'm just not in the mood to be Pollyanna.
One more thing... isn't it gross how when you're at the dentist they put on those gloves and then touch a whole bunch of things (x-ray bib and machine, light, mouse on computer, water pik, water vacuum, etc...) and then put their fingers in your mouth--as they have with every other patient that day and the day before, and the day before... Sorry, I'm a bit of a germaphobe and a friend mentioned this to me once and now I noticed it and I came REALLY close to asking my hygienist to put on a new pair of gloves. Really gross. I had to swish some major mouthwash when I got home.
Okay, I'm done with my dental venting. Looking forward to some fillings on Monday...
1 comment:
Holy cow!! I thought I was the only one who got totally grossed out by the fact that they touch EVERYTHING around your chair and still stick their fingers in your mouth. Yuck, yuck, yuck!!! I can totally relate!!
Post a Comment