The past couple of months I have been converting my parents' home vhs movies into dvd. Yesterday we watched one for a bit that had my Great Grandpa Nelson on it. I was always a little scared of him and the first thing out of Esther's mouth was "he's scary!" Then she started firing off questions:
Esther: "How come he's missing some teeth?"
Mommy (me): "They fell out."
E: "Why?"
M: "Sometimes that happens when people get really old."
E: "Did he save them or put them under his pillow?"
M: "Neither... he probably just threw them away."
E: "Why didn't he put them under his pillow?"
M: "When you get older you just... don't."
At this point I can almost see the wheels turning in Esther's head.
E: "Well, when I'm older I'm going to put my teeth under my pillow."
M: "Sweetie, when you are in your 90's you can do whatever you want to do with your teeth."
E: "Mom, is the tooth fairy real?"
M: "Ummmmm... it's time for dinner--I better start making it." (or some equally lame diversion in the conversation)
I love Esther's curiosity--even though I often feel underqualified to answer her many questions.
1 comment:
Haha! I love the quick diversion when Esther asks the tooth fairy question outright. So funny. It's always a fine line between lying to your kid and creating a fun tradition, isn't it?
Post a Comment