Today my brother Sam would have been 29. I still miss him a lot but each year gets easier and brings more perspective. I think about him all the time and wonder how life would be if he were still around. Sam was always so optimistic and an influence for good to those around him. My mom gave me this poem to us one Christmas after he died and I have LOVED it ever since. It sounds just like something Sam would say with the exception of one word (we changed "bird" to "movie" since he dreamed of being a producer and loved a good movie). Happy Birthday Sam!
To Those I Love
If I should ever leave you whom I love
To go along the silent Way, grieve not,
Nor speak of me with tears, but laugh and talk
Of me as if I were beside you there,
(I'd come...I'd come, could I but find a way!
But would not tears and grief be barriers?)
And when you hear a song, or see a movie I loved,
Please do not let the thought of me be sad...
For I am loving you just as I always have...
You were so good to me!
There are so many things I wanted still to do...
So many things to say to you...
Remember that I did not fear...
It was just leaving you that was so hard to face...
We cannot see Beyond... But this I know:
I loved you so...
'Twas heaven here with you!
By Islo Paschal Richardson
To go along the silent Way, grieve not,
Nor speak of me with tears, but laugh and talk
Of me as if I were beside you there,
(I'd come...I'd come, could I but find a way!
But would not tears and grief be barriers?)
And when you hear a song, or see a movie I loved,
Please do not let the thought of me be sad...
For I am loving you just as I always have...
You were so good to me!
There are so many things I wanted still to do...
So many things to say to you...
Remember that I did not fear...
It was just leaving you that was so hard to face...
We cannot see Beyond... But this I know:
I loved you so...
'Twas heaven here with you!
By Islo Paschal Richardson

8 comments:
That is a beautiful poem!!! I am sorry for your past loss, but am glad that you can celebrate his life and the memories of him!
That's a beautiful poem, thanks for sharing! I remember when Sam passed away it was on the day before my Bryant was born.
It will be great to see Sam again.
Happy 29th to Sam. I never had a chance to meet him, but it sounds like he has an infectious and fun personality...and he obviously had a huge impact on you and many others. Ever since I was little I wanted an older brother, and you are so blessed to have Sam watching over you always.
Hugs.
I check your blog occasionally from Wendy's. When I saw Sam's picture my heart stopped. I can't tell you how often I think of Sam and am grateful to have had him as a friend. He was an amazing person who left an impact on my life for the better.
-Sherri
Thank you for that, Kate. Having lost a brother this year it really resonates with me.
Thanks again and God bless the loving memory of Sam.
So interesting because I have been thinking about Sam the last couple days. I ran across the VHS 98 blog and Mary Pitt left a thought about him. He was such a great guy. Thanks for sharing. Love you Kate!
Every September 10th I think of Sam. Last night we were watching some family movies and saw the one of all of us at Aspen Grove. There was Sam with a devious and big smile on his face as he took on Jake at shuffle board. The best was that both he and Jake were wearing bright pink clothes. Oh the 80's! I too look forward to seeing Sam again.
What a beautiful poem. I love that picture of Sam. The expression on his face is so him. Kate, you're so strong and a good exmple for me. You've helped me more than you'll ever know with the loss of my Maddox.
Post a Comment