Two of the most common phrases heard around our home are "Why?" and "But why?!!" One "why" is never sufficient for Esther's satisfaction. There is always a second "why" that has a "but" before it and even that doesn't always do it for her. Sometimes there have been up to TEN "WHY'S." The only reason it ever goes so long is when John and I are together and we take turns trying to get her to the finish line of comprehension. I know this is a normal things for kids to do but even my sister in-law commented on Esther's frequency of "why's." When my mom was here she introduced Esther to this song from the Broadway musical, Beauty and the Beast that Belle sings called "Is this home?" At least I think that's the title. Esther is now obsessed with it! It's not hard to win her interest with anything that has to do with a princess. So Esther wants to listen to that song over and over and all throughout it she is asking me questions like, "Why does it say dark and cold?" and "Why does it say believe?" I patiently answered her the first few times we listened to the song but after she started asking the same questions every time and then continuing with a succession of "why's" because my answers weren't good enough I finally said, "Let's call Grandma." Grandma is much more patient with her and gets a kick out of Esther's fascination with the song.
"Why" isn't the only question asked during the day. As I mentioned previously I'm also expected to be a walking dictionary. After a rough night of coughing and not much sleep Esther asked me today what "later" meant and I had nothing for her. I actually said, "Uh... later." Then I added, "Like in a couple minutes or hours." It's not easy to come up with these explanations and definitions--especially without a good night's sleep! Admittedly, I run out of patience sometimes--especially when she asks me every day and every night if she can have a second vitamin or a second fluoride pill and I always say no and she always asks me,"But why?" and I always explain that too many vitamins and fluoride pills will make you sick. I am glad she's curious and wants to learn. I would be nervous if she didn't ask any questions. My favorite thing is when she asks a question and after I explain she says, "Oh, that's right," like she knew all along.
I think I need to do better with my explanations and answers because Esther has a very good memory. If I say anything she usually holds me accountable for it some time later: "Be-nember Mommy, you said that? Be-nember?" Yes Sweety now I remember. I mentioned once that sometimes Daddy likes to eat "garbage" food on the weekends (he's doing Body for Life and they have one free day where they eat whatever they want so we were at the grocery store getting some treats and this was in response to a series of "why's" about why she couldn't pick a bunch of junk food) and the next day I heard her telling Grandma about Daddy eating "garbage" food. I had to clarify to my mom that John does not in fact eat garbage, he usually eats pretty healthy and fortunately Esther told her the next day about his favorite vegetable--green peas, which was remarkable to me because we have not had peas in months or talked about peas for months but she pulled that out of her memory. I think I'm starting to ramble but what can you expect at the end of a long sleep-deprived day after being bombarded by my toddler's insatiable curiosity.
3 comments:
That's so funny. Tekina went through that phase once, then I stumped her with some questions of my own... then she just stopped asking questions like that. Now I wish she would ask more questions like that.... it's so cute!
You are a patient gal Kate. I'm so glad your Mom can help out with the why's at times, a perfect grandma moment.
I love seeing this curiosity in Esther - this is how she is teaching herself. She's learning so much everyday by just asking you 'why'. She's figuring out her world and where she fits in it. You are propagating her love for learning by constantly answering all her non-stop questions. I know it's so tiring and even at times annoying - but kudos to you for keeping with it!
Post a Comment