I had the best surprise on Wednesday night... my mom came to visit!! John told me he had to work late and I believed him until he walked in and after him came my mommy!!! I almost started crying I couldn't believe it. I have really missed my family lately since I haven't seen them since January so it was the best birthday/mother's day present to have my mom come. I can't even tell you how much my girls love her too. Esther was almost glued to Grandma the whole time she was here. My mom is so creative and fun! When she is with the girls there are all sorts of mini parties, pretend play, new toys, and treats! She was really nervous to come after what happened last time she was here when she got really sick but she did great this time. I think she had more energy than me! We shopped, played at the park, cooked some good food, watched some BBC and Jazz, and had lots of good talks. On Saturday we did a day trip to the Muirwoods and Stinson Beach with John's two brothers and families. She was a good sport to come on that long windy drive but the beach made it all worth it. Seeing Esther and Lucy going crazy with the sand and water is priceless (at least to the parents and grandparents of course). Esther wasn't too into the Muirwoods (a redwood national monument) especially when we explained it as "Hey, we're going to see some trees!" But she ended up having a great time running around with her cousins and I think she even enjoyed the "trees." She REALLY loved the beach--putting her feet in the ice water, collecting "she-shells" (which were actually rocks), and digging in the sand. The only part she didn't like was walking on the "puffy" sand (the dry part of the sand that's hard to walk on). Lucy did not appreciate the texture of sand on her feet at all. She had to cry for a bit until she could get used to it and venture off the blanket to play with the sand and even taste it a bit. Yum!
After we finally got back from our big Saturday trip my mom sent John and I out on a date while she watched the girls. Not only did she watch them, feed them, bathe them, and put them to bed--she also cleaned the house. She is amazing and so selfless. I am always amazed by her strength, endurance, patience, and compassion. Every minute with her is a treasure. John took my mom to the airport this afternoon. Esther was bawling and the only reason I kept it together was I knew I would see her in a month! Esther had a harder time accepting her departure and after her asking me ten times why Grandma could not stay I had her call Grandpa, aka Papa, and he explained it to her satisfaction--mostly along the lines of how much he would miss Grandma and be so sad. Thanks Dad for letting us borrow Mom and thank you so much for the surprise visit Mom! We miss you already!




6 comments:
I am so happy for you! Even as 'big girls' we still need our mommies. :)
He he, found your blog :). How much fun! Your mom is so cute and great, I would love that kind of surprise!
How fun for you and your mom!!! What a great Mother's Day surprise!
Oh what a WONDERFUL surprise! Way to go John and your Mom!! She is amazing, what would we do without our cute Mom's? It is so nice to be around and be able to revert for moments to daughter mode. The pic of her and the girls on the porch is priceless!
Your mom really is amazing. She is the sweetest lady and it must be such a blessing to have her health back (mostly!).
I hope you have a fabulous birthday, Katie!
That is the best Mother's Day gift I've read on a blog yet !!! LUCKY!!
Post a Comment