Pages

Friday, May 16, 2008

Not soon enough

There are some days that nap time/quiet time is not soon enough! Today has been one of those days. I started the day doing a tae-bo video with my friend and while I love to work out it also means that during this time my girls are busy creating disasters. It's still worth it but I had to add it for effect. After the workout we headed outside to plant some tomato plants and couple basil plants that my mom financed because she noticed all the bare spots of dirt in our yard. She has a green thumb and when she visited couldn't resist pulling many of our weeds--thus the need for the tomato plants with no weeds to cover our dirt. I thought I was getting outside early enough to avoid the heat but no... it was hot and sweaty! We have had this sudden spell of hot days here in our area and it's hard to go from pleasant weather to hot weather very quickly. Esther got especially whiny yesterday after our trip to the store she almost cried: "My back is sweaty!!!" Sorry sweetie, being hot and sweaty is something you have to get used to in this life, unless you want to live in Alaska or Northern Russia. Back to my morning: After our messy adventure in the yard we headed inside for a bath and shower. I let Lucy hand out in the tub for two minutes too long and as I ran to grab her clothes I returned to find her surrounded by poop and even holding a piece of it in her hand. AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaagh. That's all I could say. I picked her up and plopped her in the shower, which she hates, and quickly washed her. Then we all got dressed. I had to go grab a granola bar before I could face the bath. After exercising and planting I was feeling some low blood-sugar. I finally felt energized and mentally prepared to begin the huge hassle of cleaning the poop out of the tub. I say hassle because it's not just scooping the poop out and draining it--there is all the sanitizing that has to happen to the bath, faucet, toys, and containers that have all been in contact with poop particles. Not to be gross but it was not very solid poop which made it even harder and more laborious. Eshter is fascinated by poop and had to watch every scoop and step I made. She even told Grandma she'd have to call her back in a minute and she LOVES talking to Grandma on the phone. While I was cleaning up one of Lucy's messes she was busy destroying elsewhere. That girl is one busy girl. She's driving me crazy with her "emptying cupboards and drawers" obsession. Anyway, it took me about an hour to get the bath clean and back in order. I think Lucy will shower from now on. As long as it took me it still was a couple hours till nap time and I was already exhausted (I'm still recovering from a my recent head cold just so you don't think I'm the biggest wimp ever). So we had lunch and then I bribed Esther with "Super Why" in order to get her to help clean up the mess made during exercise time. I did the dishes while she watched her show and now I can happily and finally say while Lucy is crying and screaming to sit on my lap while I finish this blog that IT IS NAP TIME FOR LUCY AND QUIET TIME FOR ESTHER. HOORAY.

7 comments:

cori said...

Poopie stories are always funnier when they happen to other people. :) Maybe in a few years you'll look back and laugh about this day. You sure earned lots of well deserved 'mommy points' today.

John and Stef said...

I was laughing out loud reading your story - only because I've been there one too many times myself- :)
Those are the times we have to remember days are long but the years are short!
You're welcome over here whenever nap/quiet time isn't coming quick enough!!

Janine said...

Unfortunately I've had a few of these poop trials too. One happened when James was in Kosovo for 6 months - it put me right over the edge. I had to call him right away and break down - beofre cleaning up I think! Happy belated birthday.

The Shupe Ohana said...

katie, i am right there with you on the poop! i have had my share of poopy tubs, i even have one where parley decided to taste the poop! they are the worst, especially the clean up! What a start to your day! and yes i have to agree on the nap times not coming soon enough sometimes. what will i ever do when parley grows out of his naps. oh and super why is my best briber too, gotta love that show!

Laura's Linoleum said...

HAHA! I love poop stories.. .I have MANY MANY. One of which included bathroom murals. Ugggh! YEAY FOR NAPTIMES!

Janine said...

Here'e an ironic fact: while I was reading and commenting on this post, Will was upstairs filling his diaper with runny poop that he then trailed all over the carpet. So I went from reading about cleaning up poop to actually doing it. Nice

b.liz said...

Ewwwww. I think I'm gonna barf -literally- after reading all this poop talk. At least I'm old enough to make it to the toilet...or at least the sink...so there is no mess to clean up. YUCK!